Are you being treated unfairly because of COVID-19? Contact the services listed here to find out your rights!

Scenario 13: Being treated unfairly

Discrimination is against the law.

You cannot be treated unfairly because of your ethnicity, the language you speak, the colour of your skin or any other characteristic associated with your race.

Everyone has the right to be treated equally when they buy items or use private and public services. This includes shopping, eating at a restaurant, going to the movies, gym or doctor, or using public transport. This rule also applies to your school or university, workplace, sporting or social club and your accommodation provider.

It is also against the law for you to be treated unfairly because of your religion, sex, gender, physical features and sexual orientation.

To find out more about discrimination, you can get information online at:

You can also call Victoria Legal Aid (1300 792 387) for free, confidential legal advice on what to do. You can ask them to organise an interpreter for you.

Victoria Legal Aid can help you make a formal complaint to the Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission or the Australian Human Rights Commission or help you go to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

You can ask for things like an apology or compensation, or achieve changes as to how the business is run and how staff behave. It is important to seek legal advice.

Learn more about issues like this

Learn more about the people and places that can help

Free Legal Help

Lawyers are here to help you. They can give you clear directions about what to do next based on what you want, and they can do things for you like talk to other people, speak in court and draft documents. If you speak to a lawyer, they cannot tell anyone what you have said – including migration authorities, police and family. What you tell them won’t affect your visa, work or education.

Victoria Legal Aid (VLA)

If you have a legal problem, you can read free legal information on the VLA website. They can also give you free and confidential legal advice on the phone in your language and sometimes give you ongoing help with your situation.

Other Services

Some services can provide you with support or information. This might include general information about your options. They are a good place to start when you are having trouble and want to find out more about what you can do.

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC)

If you feel you have been discriminated against, sexually harassed, victimised or vilified, you can make a complaint to the VEOHRC. They may help you fix your problem by helping you talk to the people causing the problem.

Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)

If you feel you have been discriminated against or harassed at work, school, or when purchasing goods and accessing services, you can make a complaint to the AHRC. They will investigate the complaint and may help you fix the problem.